Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Dead Ends, New Discoveries

I usually avoid dead end streets when bike riding...


But on yesterday's ride, I discovered one particular dead end that wasn't dead at all...


It simply led to something new...


...a stunning view of Boston Harbor's islands and bays.




Overhead, a wide-body jet began its seven-hour trip to Europe...


And off in the distance --although difficult to see with my limited 3X zoom lens -- Boston Light shined over the water...


If I were on that departing jet, I'd be wishing the lighthouse a silent "goodbye for now". Flying in and out of Logan Airport, Boston's lighthouses are the last bits of home we see as we leave, and the first things to welcome us back on our return.

This particular dead end was at the bottom of an intensely steep hill -- one of the reasons I had avoided it in the past. But as I shifted my bike into its lowest gear and began pedalling my way back up to the main road...


... I decided I'd misjudged dead-ends. In fact, let's look again at that photo I put at the very top of this post. If you were to pull back a bit to get a wider perspective ...


... you would see that there's a good chance an extraordinary view lies at the conclusion of that dead end as well.

Something to look forward to ... another day, another ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment