Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Lance Armstrong in Monaco


I just finished painting this watercolor of an image recurring in my mind since the Tour de France ended: Lance Armstrong riding in the opening time trial, careening around a curve in the hills above Monaco. It was a great moment. His ride captured the perfect fluidity of bike riding -- so smooth and controlled, but fast ... really fast.

To be honest, I'm not sure my watercolor represents an exact scene from that stage. I simply painted it from memory of the television broadcast on Versus. I suppose I could have gone back to my video recording to check it -- but it was more fun simply letting my imagination fill in the memory gaps. I sketched the outline of the painting in a notebook while riding the subway home from work.

So if the cliff is a little steeper than it truly was, or the abstract view of Monte Carlo a bit too dramatic ... well, I hope Lance will forgive me!

2 comments:

  1. Your watercolors are really cool! I love that the Tour has inspired so many beautiful works of art in you. Thanks for showing them off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jason,
    Another great watercolor. I'm going to print it out and put it in my scrap book on the Tour. Keep painting !
    Leah

    ReplyDelete